Nov 12, 2013

Take care of yourself

"I received an email telling me it was over. I didn't know how to answer. It was as if it wasn't meant for me. It ended with the words: Take care of yourself. I took this recommendation literally. I asked hundred and two women, chosen for their profession, to interpret the letter in their professional capacity. To analyze it, provide a commentary on it, act it, dance it, sing it. Dissect it. Squeeze it dry. Understand for me. Answer for me. It was a way to take the time to break up. At my own pace. A way to take care of myself."  Sophie Calle.

Here is a video where you can see what the exhibition looked like.



Now watch an interview where Sophie Calle explains what she did and why. You can also see her work. (Warning: She has a very strong French accent)

2 comments:

  1. I read a Paul Auster´s book long time ago in which appears the character Sophie Calle. I liked that character very much, because she was a really creative person who made art with her life!! But I don´t remember the name of the book now... Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel by Auster is Leviathan :)
    You can read an interview to Sophie Calle here. http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2004/dec/13/art.art
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete